Fountain with a sculpture of Amfitrita



ID number:
01596
Title:
Fountain with a sculpture of Amfitrita
City:
Subject:
Square, city hall, well, sculpture, buildings
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1960-1965
Format:
11х17 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 10653
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 10174
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, museum, Dominican chech
ID: 01865
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok square, fountain, sculpture, Cipper department store, Bachevski building
ID: 01558
City: Lviv
Date: 1931
Format: 14х9 sm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Monument, sculpture, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytskyi
ID: 01498
City: Lviv
Date: 1933
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Lychakiv Cemetery, monument to Franko, ceremony
ID: 12830
City: Lviv
Date: 1946
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: monument, portrait, street
ID: 09708
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park
ID: 01889
City: Lviv
Date: 1947
Format: 13х9 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Kościuszko Park, Monument to Count Agenor Gołuchowski, military man, young women
ID: 03076
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Holy Spirit square, monument, night, electrical lanterns
The building is one of the best examples of late Renaissance architecture in Lviv. Its construction goes back to the end of the sixteenth century, with reconstruction work done in 1737-1739. The building is a prime example of the city’s palace architecture from the Renaissance period. Its traditional name, Bandinelli Palazzo, comes from the last name of its early owner. The building occupies a corner lot on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The northern façade is on Stavropihiyska Street.
According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).