Diana fountain

ID number:
Diana fountain
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Fountain, Rynok Square
Jan Otko
Unpublished resources
Andriy Otko

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.


ID: 03230
City: Lviv
Date: 1902-1904
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Teodozy Bahrynowicz
Publisher: Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, street, alleys, monument, people
ID: 00865
City: Lviv
Date: 1944-1950
Format: 9х6 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument, Kościuszko Park
ID: 01657
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1915-1939
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: ERBE
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Memorial
ID: 01562
City: Lviv
Date: 1911
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Exhibition hall, jury, projects for Franciszek Smolka monument
ID: 10675
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Olesky castle, architectural monument.
ID: 01907
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, alley, flowerbed, monument, restaurant, people
ID: 00526
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Monument, Św. Ducha square, theater, passersby
ID: 01883
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1926
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Bartosz Głowacki, park, military men
ID: 01893
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Fotobrom"
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Count Agenor Gołuchowski, Kościuszko Park, flower-bed, props
The building dates back to the sixteenth century, and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century (under the architect Piotr Polejowski). In the stone building’s architecture, elements of the late Baroque period (the sculptural décor of the first floor) are united with a Classicist interpretation of the façade. The stone building stands on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The four-story structure has an elongated configuration that is oriented along an east-west axis. Today (2008) it is a residential building.
Chorna Kamianytsia ("The Black House"). This building is an architectural monument of the late Renaissance. It was built in 1588-1589 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn) and in 1596 (addition of the third floor, by architect P. Krasowski). Later reconstruction dates to 1677 (the façade sculptures and the attic, by architect M. Hradowski), 1884 (addition of the fourth floor by architects M. Fechter and A. Pjotrowski), 1911 (restoration of the façade by architect E. Zychowicz) and 1926 (restoration of the interior). The premises are used for expositions of the Lviv History Museum, for which function they were adapted in 1926.
According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).