Diana fountain



ID number:
01585
Title:
Diana fountain
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Fountain, Rynok Square
Creator:
Jan Otko
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Andriy Otko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00852
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: E. Kalika
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Monument, square, Culture Palace, city growth, people
ID: 01575
City: Lviv
Date: 1901
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Kornel Ujejski Monument, Academicка Street, City Casino
ID: 09677
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Park, alley, monument, sculpture, people
ID: 09785
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park
ID: 12135
City: Lviv
Date: 1973
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: cemetery, grave, people, officer
ID: 00849
City: Lviv
Date: 1952
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject:
ID: 01904
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Jan Kilinski, fence, Stryiskyi park, flowerbed, gymnasium pupils
ID: 09764
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Adam Mickiewicz
ID: 01585
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Fountain, Rynok Square
The building dates back to the sixteenth century, and was rebuilt in the eighteenth century (under the architect Piotr Polejowski). In the stone building’s architecture, elements of the late Baroque period (the sculptural décor of the first floor) are united with a Classicist interpretation of the façade. The stone building stands on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The four-story structure has an elongated configuration that is oriented along an east-west axis. Today (2008) it is a residential building.
Chorna Kamianytsia ("The Black House"). This building is an architectural monument of the late Renaissance. It was built in 1588-1589 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn) and in 1596 (addition of the third floor, by architect P. Krasowski). Later reconstruction dates to 1677 (the façade sculptures and the attic, by architect M. Hradowski), 1884 (addition of the fourth floor by architects M. Fechter and A. Pjotrowski), 1911 (restoration of the façade by architect E. Zychowicz) and 1926 (restoration of the interior). The premises are used for expositions of the Lviv History Museum, for which function they were adapted in 1926.
According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).