Assumption (Dormition) church



ID number:
01359
Title:
Assumption (Dormition) church
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Polish
Subject:
Pidvalna Street, church, Kornyakta tower, "Dnister" House
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1900-1905
Format:
18х12 cm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01446
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1900-1920
Format: 7,5х10,5 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, neighborhood of the Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God
ID: 02265
City: Lviv
Date: 1904
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, architecture, church
ID: 13168
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: building, architecture, sacral buildings, church
ID: 13045
City: Brest
Date: 1917-1918
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: war, sacral buildings, people
ID: 13782
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, people, religious building, architecture, church, tower, street light, tram
ID: 13077
City: Pochaiv
Date: 1916
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: sacral building, war, monastery, panorama
ID: 02742
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1910
Format: 90×140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities, people
Kropyvnytskyi
ID: 13794
City: Kropyvnytskyi
Date: August 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: city, religious buildings, church, ruins, war, architecture
ID: 13076
City: Pochaiv
Date: 1916
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: sacral building, war, mosaic
The Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God – formerly known as Voloska church is the key element of a wonderful architectural ensemble that includes the church, bell tower (it is built onto the church from the north) and the chapel building in the yard. This is the best Lviv Renaissance monument; its architecture unites the West European Renaissance forms with the tradition of the Eastern Christianity sacral construction.  The church stands at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets, on the site of an old church of the fifteenth century. In was constructed from 1591 to 1629 (by the architects P. Rymlianyn, V. Kapinos, A. Prykhylnyi) and in 1796 (rebuilt after fire). In the middle of the nineteenth century the church was connected with the Three Prelates Chapel.  
The bell tower of Assumption Church – Korniakta Tower is an element of the Assumption Church ensemble; it is located at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets. The tower is connected with the northern façade of the church. The historic name of the Korniakt tower is connected with the name of its founder. The main construction dates are 1572-1578 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn), 1695 (adding the upper tier by the architect P. Beber), and the 1780’s (restoration after fire). The tower has clear style features of the Renaissance as well as Baroque period (top part of the tower). 
The bell tower of Assumption Church – Korniakta Tower is an element of the Assumption Church ensemble; it is located at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets. The tower is connected with the northern façade of the church. The historic name of the Korniakt tower is connected with the name of its founder. The main construction dates are 1572-1578 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn), 1695 (adding the upper tier by the architect P. Beber), and the 1780’s (restoration after fire). The tower has clear style features of the Renaissance as well as Baroque period (top part of the tower). 

The four-storied building on the corner of Ruska and Pidvalna streets was built in 1905-1906 under a project designed by architects Ivan Levynskyi (Jan Lewiński) and Tadeusz Obmiński. The building is one of the best and brightest examples of the "Hutsul" Secession in Ukraine; it is an architectural monument (protection number 391). The Dnister company played a quite remarkable and symbolic role in the cultural life of the Ukrainian community in the early 20th c. Today the building is occupied by the First municipal clinic.