Crossroad of Ruska and Pidvalna Streets



ID number:
13133
Title:
Crossroad of Ruska and Pidvalna Streets
City:
Subject:
street, building, people, tram, architecture, sacral building
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1960-1980
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 13129
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, car, architecture
ID: 08207
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Leonid Zapadenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, school
ID: 01603
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 12х18 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Staroyevreiska street, old Gombrykhtivska building, Lviv coat of arms
ID: 01743
City: Lviv
Date: 1957-1965
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Lenina Street, monument to the Tank Guardsmen, panorama, street lights, television broadcasting tower
ID: 01729
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1990
Format: 10х15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Lychakivska Street, building, city growth
ID: 02039
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Pidvalna street, Royal arsenal, Dominican church
ID: 08545
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture
ID: 03843
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar years (1918-1939)
Format: 120х70 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, road works
ID: 08602
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: 1 Travnia street, architecture, buildings, public garden, flowerbed, fountain, paving

The building of the former sports society "Dnister" was built in 1905–1906 by a construction company of Ivan Levynskyi. The architects were Tadeusz Obmiński and Oleksandr Lushpynskyi. It is a monument of architecture and urban planning of local significance: protection number М-250.

Presently, it is a communal property (it is owned by a local community of Lviv represented by Lviv City Council). It is used by a medical institution Municipal Polyclinic No 1, and the sports society "Ukrayina."

The Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God – formerly known as Voloska church is the key element of a wonderful architectural ensemble that includes the church, bell tower (it is built onto the church from the north) and the chapel building in the yard. This is the best Lviv Renaissance monument; its architecture unites the West European Renaissance forms with the tradition of the Eastern Christianity sacral construction.  The church stands at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets, on the site of an old church of the fifteenth century. In was constructed from 1591 to 1629 (by the architects P. Rymlianyn, V. Kapinos, A. Prykhylnyi) and in 1796 (rebuilt after fire). In the middle of the nineteenth century the church was connected with the Three Prelates Chapel.  
The bell tower of Assumption Church – Korniakta Tower is an element of the Assumption Church ensemble; it is located at the intersection of Pidvalna and Ruska Streets. The tower is connected with the northern façade of the church. The historic name of the Korniakt tower is connected with the name of its founder. The main construction dates are 1572-1578 (by the architects P. Barbon and P. Rymlianyn), 1695 (adding the upper tier by the architect P. Beber), and the 1780’s (restoration after fire). The tower has clear style features of the Renaissance as well as Baroque period (top part of the tower). 
The current building of the Lviv city hall was built in the years 1827-1835. The project was designed by architects Alois Wondraszka, Jerzy Glogowski, Joseph Markl, and Franz Trescher. In 1849-1851, after a fire, a reconstruction was carried out under a project by Johann Salzmann. The massive building is situated at the center of the Rynok square; it has four symmetrical Neo-Classicist façades. Its tower, which is square in plan, belongs to the most noticeable accents of Lviv’s architectural panorama and is one of the visual symbols of the city. The style of the building can be considered a typical one for the Austrian administration buildings of the 1830-1840s. The city hall is the administrative center of the city, the Lviv City Council is located there.