Fountain with Sculpture of Amfitrita



ID number:
00122
Title:
Fountain with Sculpture of Amfitrita
City:
Description:

The photograph shows one of the four fountains with allegoric figures on Market Square (sculptor: Hartman Witwer, approx. 1800), in the present case Amfitrita, standing in the north-western part of the square. On the left-hand side there is a fragment of the Zipper house (№ 32), which was built in 1912 by the architects Michał Luzecki and Edmund Zychowicz on the place of an old Vilchkovsky brick house. In 1912-1939 a department store was situated here. Behind the fountain a house standing on the corner of Shevska Street № 2 and Krakivska Street №1 can be seen.

 

Subject:
Fountain, sculpture of Amfitrita, Market Square, Shevska Street, Krakivska Street
Creator:
Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher:
"Halytska Brama", Lviv
Date:
1920-1939
Format:
4,5х6 cm
Copyright:
Leonid Simutin
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00861
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1950
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Public garden, alley, monument, sculpture, flowerbed, people
ID: 01943
City: Lviv
Date: 1985-1990
Format: 15х10 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Ivan Pidkova, I. Pidkovy Square, Teatralna St.
ID: 13176
City: Lviv
Date: 1962-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: portrait, street, children, people, monument, building
ID: 01253
City: Lviv
Date: 1936
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Virgin Mary statue, Mariacka Sq., flower-bed, city greenery, building No. 1-3 in Legions St.
ID: 00865
City: Lviv
Date: 1944-1950
Format: 9х6 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument, Kościuszko Park
ID: 01424
City: Lviv
Date: 1914
Format: 18х13 сm
Creator: Henryk Mikolasch
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument, Mariacka Square, cathedral, buildings No. 8 and 9
ID: 00246
City: Lviv
Date: 1968
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Monument, woman, sculpture
ID: 11685
City: Lviv
Date: 1945
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Boiko
Subject: people, monument
ID: 01883
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1926
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Bartosz Głowacki, park, military men

The Baroque townhouse with the “all-seeing eye” was built on Gothic cellars of two previous houses at the corner of Krakivska and Shevska streets in the 18th century. It has preserved its old planning structure and unique elements of white stone Baroque carving.

According to the resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR number 970 dated 23 August 1963, the house was entered in the Register of architecture and urban planning monuments of national significance under protection number 354.

According to historian Yuri Biriuliov, among the "best work of Hartman Witwer (1774-1825) are ... the four stone statues made out of limestone and located at the wells on Market Square – they embodied the allegory of earth (the sculptures of Diana and Adonis) and water (the sculptures of Neptune and Amphitrite). The Market Square figures were created some time between 1810 and 1814, and are mentioned in original sources first in 1815, when the city council passed a resolution forbidding damage to the sculptures during the celebration of the traditional Ukrainian "Jordan" holiday ([the celebration of the Baptism of Jesus, and] the sanctification of water)." On the western side of the square are fountains with the figures of Neptune (the southwestern corner) and Amphitrite (the northwestern corner). On the eastern side are fountains with the figures of Adonis (northeast) and Diana (southeast side).