The building of the Kyiv City Duma



ID number:
11239
Title:
The building of the Kyiv City Duma
City:
Description:

The building of the Kyiv City Duma, constructed in 1876, six years later after this institution became an elective body and resumed the nature of self-government (now the Maydan Nezalezhnosti square). This building indicates the co-existence of administrative, commercial, educational, and public functions in the space of a single structure. The ground floor was occupied by shops; profit from the lease of the shops was going to the city treasury. The assembly hall and the city administration rooms were located on the first floor. Certain premises were held by the famous Murashko’s drawing school and a medical night duties post. In the 1890s the third floor was added on the whole building’s perimeter. The building is planned in the shape of an unbent horseshoe. On the tower spire, there is a statue of Archangel Michael with a sword in his hands; it is the patron of Kyiv and a symbol of being ready to defend Kyiv’s self-government (a reference to the Magdeburg Rights which were lost by the city). The Archangel Michael, made by Yeva Kulykivska, a sculptor, was replaced by a red star not long after 1917.

The 1880s-1890s photo indicates also a rather free pedestrian area which was strictly divided into a pedestrian part and a carriageway; to a certain extent, this fact indicates that the area had the nature of a square rather than that of a street. On the left one can see a rather tall gas lantern post, which had a more refined shape in contrast to others; it was a kind of marking an area for the elite.

Olga Martyniuk

Subject:
street, building, transport, electric line
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1880-1890
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03500
City: Lviv
Date: 1890-1892
Format: 11х18 cm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Czarneckiego St., Viceregency, transport, gas street lamp
ID: 00629
City: Lviv
Date: 1911-1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Trade and Industry Chamber
ID: 00642
City: Lviv
Date: 1927-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Juliusz Rodkowski
Publisher: Printing House "Narodowa", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Railway Administration Building, park, electric lamp-post, passers-by
ID: 00681
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: David Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Franciszka Jozefa Sq., regional administration, green area, passersby
ID: 09765
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 09786
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Rynok Square, House of Lviv City Council
ID: 09468
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: Park, building
ID: 03735
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1936-1944
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Foto Regal, Cernăuţi
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, Chamber of Commerce, Squares
ID: 02526
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 12,2х20 см
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Galician Diet