Views of Industrial Kramatorsk

Kramatorsk Station. City Panorama
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1917
Blast Furnace, Kramatorsk Steel Works
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1917-1921
Kramatorsk Station. City Panorama
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1917
Blast Furnace, Kramatorsk Steel Works
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1917-1920
Factory Bridge on the Toretz River
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1910-1920
Roll Mill, Kramatorsk Steel Works
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1920-1930
View of the Kramatorsk Steel Works
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1920-1930
Kramatorsk Chalk Factory
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1910-1919
Boiler Room, Kramatorsk Steel Works
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1917-1922
The Kramatorsk Metallurgical Society plant
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1900-1917
The Kramatorsk Metallurgical Society plant
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1900-1917
The Kramatorska station
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1900-1917
The Kramatorsk Metallurgical Society plant
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1900-1917
Kramatorsk Station. City Panorama
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1910


The formation of urban space in Kramatorsk began at the end of XIX century after the company “Fitzner and Hamper” opened a metallurgical and machine-building plant. At the beginning of the XX century, the plant started to produce machine tools that were later used on the locomotive building and ship-building plants.

Twice, in 1900 and 1910, equipment produced by the plant in Kramatorsk was awarded the title “Grand Prix” at the international exhibition in Paris.

On November 17,1920, the plant was nationalized and got the name Kramatorsk State Machine-Building and Metallurgical Plant.

Kramatorsk received a city status in 1932. Previously, the location  was considered a company town, inherent to the Donbas region of that time. All life was concentrated around the plant.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the  population in Kramatorsk was estimated at over twelve thousand people. A plant hospital, two schools and a college was functioning in Kramatorsk. Also, a pharmacy (1897), a telegraph (1898), an international telephone station (1909), cinema (1913) existed in the city. In 1912, Kramatorsk Sports Society was founded. Afterwards, a stadium was built and a football team was formed. .

Photographs of Kramatorsk exhibited in the gallery consist of collections of the Museum for Kramatorsk History, the Museum of the History of Starokramatorsky Machine Building Plant and a private collection of Manfred Blonn. Images are compiled in frames of the research project “Industrialization and Urban Landscape of the Industrial South of the Russian Empire”.

 Written by Volodymyr Kulikov