The gallery “The Stores of Pripyat” invites to take a look at only one element of the story, however, very expressive. It can often be encountered in the photo albums on the construction and life of the Pripyat atom-city. The images of stores, gastronomes, a department store, as well as canteens and cafes are symbols of welfare in the newly built city. They represent care about “common folk”. It was particularly emphasized by the propaganda in the atom city.
Today mascarons are strongly associated with Secession. This style broke away from the domination of the Academy in 19th century which forced architects to copy examples of previous historic styles. Architects became free in their artistic designs of the buildings. The mascarons embodied the search for new forms which could express the spirit of change in the Fin-de-Siècle time. References to Classicist or Gothic architecture were not completely abandoned.
The pictures in the photo gallery are borrowed from the collection of Lviv Power Lift Trucks Factory. They show the first years of operation (1948-1951) when the units were established and launched, production and output processes arranged, and also first successful achievements celebrated.
Material of the mini-exhibition - part of the
DonKult lecture and discussion program
In the summer of 1967, Lviv
hosted the Festival of Czechoslovakian and Soviet Youth Friendship. Some of the
festival events took place at the newly constructed Druzhba Stadium (now Ukrayina
Stadium), including sporting competitions, theatrical performances, athletes’
parades, and welcome speeches by Soviet cosmonauts Yuri Gagarin, Valentina
Tereshkova, and Oleksiy Leonov.
Kramatorsk is one of the cities that rose up around industry. Industry was one of the foremost elements in the life of the city, and its inhabitants. The development of industry drove the development of communication, services, and public life.
Photographs taken by graduates of the Lwow Academic Gymnasium during a tour of Eastern Galicia in the Summer of 1930.
The majority of the northern industrial area wasn't incorporated into the city until the early 1930s. After the war, Zamarstynow and northern Podzamcze still maintained a semi-rural character. Urban streets with stone houses ended with dirt roads, surrounded by overgrown wastelands, small buildings or modest one- or two-family houses.