Joining the Collective Farm (Kolkhoz)
Construction of the Dnieper Hydroelectric Station
Members of the Ulianov Commune
Photo collage. Lower Dnieper Pipe Rolling Plant.
Workers of the Lower Dnieper Pipe Rolling Company
Workers of the experimental shop. Lower Dnieper Pipe Rolling Plant
Employees of the Lower Dnieper Pipe Rolling Plant
Construction of a new pipe shop. Lower Dnieper Pipe Rolling Plant
Specialists from Germany at the plant building site
The Kramatorsk Metallurgical Society plant was one of the biggest metallurgical and machine building plants of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Built by the Wilhelm Fitzner and Konrad Gamper company in 1899, the plant became the Kramatorsk Metallurgical Society joint stock company in the same year. The equipment produced by the Kramatorsk plant was twice, in 1900 and 1910, awarded with the Grand Prix at an international exhibition in Paris.
The Society supplied the palaces of the Russian Emperor and members of his family, as well as the state institutions’ buildings, with boilers. It also was a supplier for the biggest industrial enterprises of the Russian Empire.
On 17 November 1920 the plant was nationalized and renamed as the Kramatorsk State Machine Building and Metallurgical Plant. Now it is the Starokramatorsk Machine Building Plant. http://www.skmz.dn.ua/
Author: Volodymyr Kulikov
The administration building of the Korsun Mine Nr 1
The Korsun Mine (later called “Kocheharka”) near the station of Horlivka (Katerynoslav Railway), Bakhmut district, Katerynoslav province.
The mine was built in 1871-1873 and put into operation in January of 1874. A working village sprang up near the mine and was named Horlivka in honour of engineer P. M. Horlov (now it is a town in the Donetsk region).
The construction of the mine was managed by the South Russian Coal Industry Company. It was the first capitalist coal company in the central area of the Donbas region; its basic capital was 1.7 million roubles (5 million roubles in 1913).
The Korsun mine was constructed and operated with due regard for the latest achievements of mining industry. For the first time in mining practice P. M. Horlov used an advanced (for that time) system of coal mining. Equipped with the newest machines, the mine became one of the biggest mining businesses of the Donbas. In 1879 over one thousand miners worked there and over 3.6 million poods of coal were mined. As for its technical equipment the mine was one of the best in the Donbas.
As of 1913, the mine produced 50 million poods of coke per year; its annual production was 6.3 million roubles. 4.4 thousand workers worked at the mine. Its level of mechanization is indicated by the number of machines as it had 55 steam and electric engines with an aggregate power of 9.2 thousand h. p.
In 2001 the mine was liquidated according to a plan of the closure of unprofitable mines in the Donetsk region.
Exercises in the private women’s gymnasium of Yevseeva
Exercises in the private women’s gymnasium of Yevseeva. Gymnasium students in uniform with white collars and caps, as well as two teachers or class mistresses, perhaps, foreigners, can be seen in the photo.
In the early nineteenth century women’s education in private, chiefly closed institutions was spread in Dnieper Ukraine. The main idea was to provide a proper education and knowledge of general subjects for daughters of gentry, merchants, and military officers. The educational process was arranged so as to comprise elements of science, art, and ethics. In this photo one can see an element of a dancing lesson; this is clear due to a characteristic position of the feet, clothes and arrangement of the girls.
There is a ground, paved with split stone, in the yard of the gymnasium located on Oleksandrivska (now Hrushevskoho, Sahaidachnoho and Volodymyrsky Uzviz) street. Behind the group of gymnasium students, there is a wooden pergola, twined round with grape vines or some other climber like ivy or wisteria.
A general view of the Contracts Fair at Podil
The train station in Kyiv
A photo of an elderly woman and a little girl against the background of the train station, taken by D. Markov. A lady with an umbrella stands behind them. The harmony of the Neo-Gothic façade of the train station, which consisted of one- and two-storied pavilions, is clearly seen. There is a confluence of people in front of the entrance to the central hall; cabs are waiting for passengers. The carriageway is paved with river stones and separated from the sidewalk by wooden limiters. The sidewalk itself seems to have rather a flat surface; this fact can indicate that it was covered with asphalt. This may have been done here, near the train station, for the first time in Kyiv.
Iryna and Ihor Kalynets with their friends, spouses Natalia and Roman Petruk
Russian soldiers on the square in front of the Lviv railway station
A German military man in front of the Lviv University
Girls in Ukrainian national clothing with a portrait of Stalin next to the Opera House
A View of the Part of the City Containing the Basilian Monastery