The junior high school (Gymnasium) ()
During the existence of the West Ukrainian People’s Republic (late 1918–early 1919 in Eastern Galicia), there was a short period during which classes were suspended and, subsequently, students could attend the first three grades with Ukrainian as the language of instruction. The former Realschule became a school paid for by the Polish state (Second Polish Republic), with Polish language of instruction since 1920. However, children of Greek-Catholic and Judaism denominations received religious education in their own languages. During the 1921–22 school year the school was transformed into the eight-year Gymnasium (junior high school). After the first three years of general education, students moved to the second level and chose different curricula, specialising in either sciences or humanities.
In 1932 the educational system was rebuilt by the then Polish minister Janusz Jędrzejewicz. After a four-year education the Gymnasium concluded with the so-called mała matura which was a document certifying the completion of general education. Only some students who aimed to enter a university, continued their studies for the next two years with a specific focus and graduated from the Gymnasium with the matura final exam.
A sample statistic from the 1930–31 school year tells us that out of 287 students, the majority – 123 people – declared themselves to be Polish. A little less – 93 students – declared Jewish nationality, 66 – Ukrainian. There were also 5 students of German nationality. The group comprised children of peasant background whose parents worked on small farms mostly (69 students). The next largest groups were children of tradesmen and small entrepreneurs (60 students), children of civil servants employed by the government (40 students), children of craftsmen (20 students) and teachers (17 students).
Source: „Sprawozdanie państwowego gimnazjum im. Fr. Karpińskiego w Śniatynie za rok szkolny 1927/28,” „Sprawozdanie państwowego gimnazjum im Fr. Karpińskiego w Śniatynie za rok szkolny 1930/31.”