Noviy Lviv: Amongst Parks and the Railway
Horse Races at the Hippodrome, 1897
Water Tower, 1930s
Single Story, Single Family Home at Myshuhy Street 56
"Dynamo" Pool, 1940-50s
Celebration at "Dynamo" Stadium, 1950s
Construction on Lytvynenka Street, 1960
The exhibition "Noviy Lviv: Amongst Parks and the Railway" is a collection of images from Novyi Lviv's past, from its inception in the 1930s to today, created by the Center for Urban History on the basis of resources found in our "Urban Media Archive." The photo exhibition shows the most characteristic spaces of Novyi Lviv: parks, waterways, architectural structures, in their interaction with residents. Photos and maps from different times offer some images of Novyi Lviv as a district with new, improved living standards; as a city-garden; as a stage for modernist experiments in architecture; as a place for sport, self-improvement, and simultaneously for recreation and leisurely walks in the park.
Olha Zarechnyuk, Olexander Makhanets, Yevhen Chervony, Andriy Linik and Iryna Sklokina prepared the exhibition; their interest in this district grew out of the international architectural summer school "Novyi Lviv" (August 2015).
The opening was held on May 14, 2016 at 3.00 pm near school №69 (Zaporizka Street 20). After the opening there was an excursion through the district for inhabitants led by architect Yulia Bohdanova, lecturer from the Institute of Architecture at the Lviv Polytechnic. The exhibition was on display at Ternopilska 15 street through August 1, 2016
"Urban Media Archive" consists of digitized or digitally created visual and audio-visual resources that represent the city and city life in Central and Eastern Europe. We urge everyone who can share photographs of Novyi Lviv - during the pre-war, Soviet and modern era to contact the Center for Urban History (Alexander Makhanets, email@example.com 38-032 275-17-34). We scan the originals and ask the owners to write up a description of the photograph or any stories connected to it. After that we return the original photograph to its owner.
The opening of the exhibition is one of the activities that is part of the project "Communities in Action" implemented by the City Institute and made possible through funding from the EU Program "Neighbourhood Civil Society Facility 2012 and Non-State Actors and Local Authorities in Development in 2012 and 2013." The project hopes to activate local communities in the city, foster collaboration with community activists and residents, and to develop an effective dialogue with local authorities by involving inhabitants in planning and decision making. The project holds monthly meetings with residents, where they share experiences and make practical steps to improve the lives of their communities.